Kevin Van Dam Wins His Fourth Classic by 10 Pounds!
Sunday, February 20, 2011
New Orleans, La.
By Luigi De Rose
|KVD Classic # 4|
Photo: James Overstreet (BASS)
Kevin Van Dam's records after today's win.
- Four Classic Titles (Tied with Rick Clunn for the most)
- Back to Back Classic victories (Rick Clunn only other to do that in 1976 and 1977)
- All Time BASS Money winner with career earning over $5 Million
- 20 BASS Wins (Roland Martin had 19)
- One of only two anglers to win the Classic and be Angler of the Year in the same year (Mark Davis is the other)
- Only angler ever to win Classics and Angler of the Year in the same year back to back
- Heaviest all time 5 fish daily limit (15 fish total) Classic weight with 69-11
Lake Cat: Why so Good?
Using his intuition, Kevin explained how he felt about Lake Cat. "With the full moon on Wednesday, it set up to be the perfect storm for big fish." lamented Van Dam when detailing what Lake Cat's potential was by the end of the official practice. The fish wanted to come in and spawn. The habitat is so perfect with all the grass and stumps. Also, this area is one of the only to have a hard bottom. "Really, it (his one fishing spot) is the perfect place for bass to be this time of year." clarified Van Dam.
During the BASS Press Conference after his win, a journalist asked about next year's Classic which will be held in Shreveport, Louisiana. With true passion, he explained how his day one gamble during the 2009 Bass Master Classic cost him and he finished that tournament in 26 place, one spot out of the final day cut. He told the crowd that he expects some redemption. Knowing Kevin's competitive style he is already thinking of Classic win #5.
Future Posts will focus on tackle, Classy Classic Moves, Aaron Martens, Derek Remitz, ibassin.com's Classic picks and an overall wrap up.